Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Olympics, y'all

It's here, it's here! Four long years are up, and the Olympics are back - this time British style. I personally am a huge fan of the Olympics. One of my favorite Olympic memories is the 96 Olympics. I remember watching Kerri Strug vault on a sprained ankle to secure the gold medal for Team USA. As soon as she landed that vault, my sister, my parents and I all jumped up and cheered! That's what the Olympics is to me - celebrating great moments together.


I was super excited to see what the Brits had come up for the Opening Ceremonies. I thought the opening ceremonies were fabulous! I loved how it was comprised of different segments that together showed the essence of Great Britain.  Of course, there are many who were disappointed and felt that it was all over the place. I thought it was genius, especially the segment highlighting Britain's literary greats (English nerd alert). 


Some of my favorite moments were:
Mary Poppins defeating Lord Voldemort
The ENTIRE technology segment (how cute was that!)
The music
The Queen along with James Bond skydiving into the arena (Was that really her?!?)
J.K. Rowling reading that beautiful passage about Neverland
And of course, the Parade of Nations


Two things I thought were missing:
Harry Potter - I mean really, how can you have Voldemort and not Harry?
The Spice Girls!!!!! I just knew they would at least play one of their songs


Another thing I was disappointed in was Team USA's outfits. I mean really who styled them? I didn't understand the berets at all. We are NOT France. And the women's skirts were a terrible length. I honestly thought the whole look was dated.


Sorry Ralph Lauren, but this is not one of your better looks, and they were made in China.

Here are some of the outfits I did like:

Brazil


The length of the women's skirts were much better than the U.S. and I love how they incorporated their country colors. Also, they just looked like they were having a blast.


Italy

Of course Team Italy looked classic yet stylish as always.

Mexico

So tacky they are awesome! But seriously, they stayed true to their style, which I think is great.


Russia

Loved the hats! Much better than our terrible berets.

Great Britain


 I loved the host team's subtle nod to the gold medals in which they all hope to win!

Overall, I thought it was a very successful opening ceremony. I can't wait to see what the rest of the games hold!






No comments:

Post a Comment